[Coral-List] Summer Field Position in BVIs with MANTA
rusty.day at manta-online.org
Wed Apr 19 18:17:42 EDT 2017
Dear Coral Listers,
MANTA is hiring staff for our 2017 summer cruise in the British Virgin
Job Description/Environment: This is a study abroad coral reef field
studies program for college (offered through the College of Charleston) and
high school students. It is a live-aboard course conducted aboard a 58 ft
cataraman, and immerses students in lectures, labs, and field experiments to
introduce coral reef taxonomy, biology, conservation, and field methods.
This includes daily scuba diving, snorkeling, and an independent research
project. Students also learn the nautical skills necessary to become a
proficient crew member on a research vessel, leadership, and team building.
This is a very physically and psychologically demanding job, and is also
extremely rewarding. For more information please visit
www..manta-online.org , see a recent article published in the College of
or contact Dr. Russell Day at rusty.day at manta-online.org.
Instructor responsibilities include:
1) Assisting with all aspect of program logistics, including operation and
maintenance of the vessel, and program setup and break-down.
2) Assisting in teaching marine science through lectures, labs, and hands-on
research and discovery
3) Certification and supervision of students in scuba diving and scientific
4) Training of students in the nautical sciences including sailing,
seamanship, and navigation
5) Ensuring the safety and appropriate conduct of students at all times
6) Creating a positive, encouraging, and inspirational environment in which
to learn and live
The most highly qualified applicants will have a strong background in coral
reef science, as well as practical experience in scuba diving/supervision,
and maritime skills.
* Certified PADI SCUBA Instructor
* Strong nautical background including sailing and piloting yachts and
* Degree (graduate degree preferred) in marine science or related field
* Proficient in field identification of Caribbean reef fishes and
* Experienced in underwater field research methods and research
* Prior experience teaching and working with high school and/or college
* Exceptional organization and interpersonal skills
* Positive attitude, commitment to education and research, and good
physical stamina and strength
* First Aid and CPR or Wilderness First Responder Certification
Duration: July 8 - August 12. This is a part-time position for summer
2017 for our 15 day high school and College of Charleston) courses
Compensation: Instructors will receive a $500 stipend to reimburse
airfare, full room and board, and a salary of $2500.
Closing date: May 3
Application: Please send your resume and cover letter to
rusty.day at manta-online.org.
Rusty Day, PhD
Executive Director, Marine science And Nautical Training Academy (MANTA)
Adjunct Faculty, College of Charleston
417 Planters Trace Dr
Charleston, SC 29412
rusty.day at manta-online.org
3. mailto:rusty.day at manta-online.org
4. mailto:rusty.day at manta-online.org
5. mailto:rusty.day at manta-online..org
More information about the Coral-List