[Coral-List] New paper on nitrogen fixation in bleaching

Claudia Pogoreutz claudia.pogoreutz at kaust.edu.sa
Fri Apr 21 12:14:04 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

may we draw your attention to our latest publication entitled “Sugar
enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral
bleaching” published in Global Change Biology.

In our study we used labile dissolved organic carbon (DOC) to induce coral
bleaching in the absence of heat or light stress. We propose that bleaching
under these conditions may be attributed to a stimulation of nitrogen
fixing bacteria and altered nutrient cycling properties. Thereby, our
findings may have important implications for our understanding of coral
bleaching under thermal stress.

Please find the open access publication under:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13695/full

Best regards,

Claudia Pogoreutz

Dr. Claudia Pogoreutz