[Coral-List] peer review training opportunity in genetics for early career scientists

ILIANA BAUMS baums at psu.edu
Wed Aug 2 03:16:52 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

please see this peer review training opportunity for early career scientists with expertise in Cellular Genetics, Developmental and Behavioral Genetics and Population and Evolutionary Genetics:

Dear colleagues,
We’re now recruiting the first group of senior graduate
students, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty
to take part in a pilot peer review training program:
http://www.genetics-gsa.org/careers/training_program.shtml

Peer-reviewers are vital to science. Yet early career scientists in
genetics rarely receive formal training in how to be a good reviewer. This
uneven training means we’re often failing to prepare the next generation
of reviewers. But it also means many students and postdocs miss the chance
to develop skills central to their success in science: understanding
the mindset and expectations of peer reviewers and editors, critical
thinking, evaluating research, and providing constructive feedback on
scientific projects not directly related to their own.

The GENETICS Editorial Board and the GSA Publications Committee are
addressing this deficiency with a program that gives early career GSA
members real-world peer review experience. Participants will receive
training and one-on-one mentoring in peer review from GENETICS editors,
while reviewing manuscripts submitted to GENETICS that are within their
areas of interest and expertise.

To pilot this program, we invite applications from GSA members who
are senior graduate students and those within seven years of receiving
their PhD degree. Applicants from anywhere in the world are encouraged
to apply. We particularly welcome applications from members who lack
opportunities to receive peer review training in their home labs or
departments. For this pilot, we are seeking applicants able to review
manuscripts for any of the following journal sections:
        • Cellular Genetics
        • Developmental and Behavioral Genetics
        • Population and Evolutionary Genetics
Applications are due August 14, 2017:
http://www.genetics-gsa.org/careers/training_program.shtml

To learn more about the development of the program please visit
http://genestogenomes.org/learning-to-peer-review/

Please help us develop this important program by spreading the word to
your colleagues.

Yours sincerely,

Mark Johnston, Editor-in-Chief, GENETICS
David Greenstein, Secretary and Publications Committee Chair, Genetics
Society of America,  Senior Editor, GENETICS
Aleeza Gerstein, Liaison, Publications Committee and Early Career
Scientist Communications and Outreach Subcommittee
Sonia Hall, Director, Engagement and Development, Genetics Society
of America

Aleeza Gerstein <gerst035 at umn.edu>

Iliana B. Baums, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Marine Science and Technology (CMAST)
Associate Professor
Department of Biology
The Pennsylvania State University
208 Mueller Laboratory