[Coral-List] Videos of Rainbow Reef, Somosomo Strait, Fiji

Brian Walker walkerb at nova.edu
Thu Aug 3 15:51:41 EDT 2017

That's great news Joe! Very interested. Thanks for posting. Those videos are encouraging.

While on the subject, we are happy to report that Kadavu's reefs in southern Fiji including the northern portion of the Great Astrolabe Reef are quite healthy as well. Coral cover and diversity we very high in parts. We encountered white tip sharks on almost every dive. Some areas had schools of Plectorhinchus (sweetlips) and we were treated to a nice school of a dozen large Humphead wrasse, Cheilinus undulatus, on the western side. Not all is lost just yet.

For more on the southern Fiji reefs, check out our Story Map of the mission we conducted in May 2017 here:

https://projectbaseline.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=6c1aabf8880b4af9abad4a6b28255535

Best Regards,

Brian Walker, Ciro Rico, and Charles Messing

Brian K. Walker, Ph.D.

Research Scientist

GIS and Spatial Ecology Lab

Nova Southeastern University

Halmos College of Natural Sciences and Oceanography

8000 N. Ocean Drive, Dania Beach, FL 33004

(954) 262-3675

http://cnso.nova.edu/overview/faculty-staff-profiles/brian_walker.html

http://cnso.nova.edu/research/labs/walker.html

http://ofr.marineplanner.io/