[Coral-List] coral traits

Steve Palumbi spalumbi at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 9 13:50:21 EDT 2017

Andrew, many many high hopes for you in this quest. We have been searching for solid tradeoffs between heat tolerance ability and other coral fitness traits and have been unable to resolve them very well. One published data set shows a complex tradeoff between heat adapted and non-adapted genotypes(Bay, Rachael A., and Stephen R. Palumbi. "Transcriptome predictors of coral survival and growth in a highly variable environment." Ecology and Evolution(2017).) But these effects were far smaller and far more nuanced than we were expecting. One of the problems is high local variation in fitness traits - growth, survival, etc - even among clones. This injects lots of noise.

Steve
Stephen Palumbi
Harold A. Miller Professor of Marine Science
Director, Hopkins Marine Station
microdocumentaries at http://microdocs.org