[Coral-List] The SCUBA diving community supports Goliath Grouper protection

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 11:37:09 EDT 2017

Answering to some ideas proposed.

Yes, mass tagging of Goliath Grouper would be an interesting approach. I'm developing a photo identification system, through citizen science specifically for that purpose.

Here's the link

https://grouperluna.com/2016/09/05/have-you-seen-this-fish/

The abundance of Goliaths in my Grouper Luna homepage is from a spawning aggregation, and this photo is repeated sometimes through my posts with the correct labeling. Along with explanations of what a spawning aggregation is. I understand that in today's twitter attention span, people might mistake the image for overabundance, but the hope is that at least those in charge of managing the species will be capable of more than a 140 character attention span to decide the best management approach for the species.

DEMA has been very supportive of science-based management of Goliath Grouper over the years. For now, scientific evidence supports continued protection of the species in Florida. I agree with Steve: DEMA should also take the same approach for major threats to coral reefs and other marine ecosystems. I think it is in the realm of possibility. Perhaps an invitation for scientists and DEMA to work together.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Blog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.com
http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres