[Coral-List] Coral mortality in a warmer and acidified ocean

Sean Beckwith stbeckwith at mail.usf.edu
Fri Feb 3 13:30:07 EST 2017

Michael,
You make a very good point and I want to state that from my perspective I
am grateful for Gene's post, and that I certainly do not intend to create
any divisiveness by my response. Especially with Gene... after all, he's
right down the hallway :)  Although, I don't get to see him everyday.

Having said that, I feel like my original point was not fully absorbed.  It
is the rate that is the difference.  When Acropora sailed through climate
catastrophes in the past, they did so on a 10 to 60 thousand year voyage,
or even longer.  The current embarkation is only 150 years in the making
and already it has matched CO2 deviations that have not been seen in
millions of years.  So, the question is simply whether stony corals and
other somewhat susceptible calcifiers can handle this rate of change?
Experiments try to replicate the situation and determine the consequences
of a stressor (maybe even 2, i.e., OA and temperature) but most experiments
that I've seen presented are extremely short in scope and don't usually
give enough time to see how the organism will react to chronic stress over
a long enough time period.  Also, I've yet to see presentation of any
experiment that incorporates 3,4 or even 5 simultaneous stressors (Temp,
OA, pollution, disease, corallivory, ...) at random stages in the
experiment.

I'll admit that the verdict is out, but I would also caution that it
doesn't look good. Life will go on, and we will continue living in a world
with consequences. That much is for sure.

Thank you for reading,
Sean