[Coral-List] Let's not forget the bigger ecosystem

Katie Cramer katie.cramer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:03:39 EST 2017

Hello again listers,

I have been attentively following the discussion about the role of
parrotfish and other possible drivers (land based pollution, loss of
predators, hurricanes) in reef growth.  It is important to point out that
many studies of modern reefs may give conflicting or counter-intuitive
results because they are focused on highly altered systems with
significantly depleted predator and herbivore populations, reduced water
quality, and more recently, increased thermal stress.

While our Nature Communications paper (
http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14160) focused in on the role of
herbivores (parrotfish and urchins) in reef growth, we realize the need for
assessing multiple human stressors to determine their relative importance.
Thus, we have follow-up papers in progress that also assess the impacts of
historical water quality declines (using benthic foraminifera and mollusk
fossils).  We did also attempt to track long-term change in predatory
fishes through time. But these teeth are very rare in reef sediments,
likely due to the slow fossil tooth accumulation rate of these longer-lived
species and the greater amount of time these fishes spend in non-reef
habitats. Finally, because we cored in lagoonal settings, our reef cores
were composed of a dense matrix of coral skeleton and mollusk shell
fragments within a sandy-muddy matrix of carbonate grains that were easily
retained by our catcher at the end of the core tube. Thus, we lost very
little sediment and found plenty of teeth (on average 75 teeth per 5 cm
slice of the working half of a core).

We will be sure to post our follow-up papers to Coral List in the upcoming
months, and look forward to continued discussion.

Thanks,

Katie