[Coral-List] Parrotfish and coral

Mark Tupper Mark.Tupper at utt.edu.tt
Fri Feb 17 17:36:46 EST 2017

Hi Gene,

Just for clarification, I wasn't suggesting that hook and line were the only gears used by pre-Colombian people. Traps were certainly certainly used, as were weirs, intertidal fish corrals, nets made of plant fibres such as liana vines, and spears. Many of these ancient forms of fishing are still being used in developing countries and/or rural areas, for example Hawaiian intertidal fish ponds (check out Jason Philibotte's interesting work on those), or coastal mangrove weirs and fish corrals using natural materials - still common in the Philippines and in Brazil. A very interesting read on Brazilian ancient fishing methods still in use can be found at http://antiquity.ac.uk/projgall/colonese344. The corrals and fish ponds right outside my house on Nonoc Island (Philippines) were built to target coralgroupers and rabbitfish, but of course they catch everything under the sun and Filipino reef fishers do not entertain such wasteful concepts as "discards".

The point may seem like semantics but it is important whether a reef fish is caught or whether it is specifically targeted. Many Caribbean herbivorous fish now and in pre-Columbian times were likely bycatch in fisheries targeting larger species that had higher fillet yields (flesh to bone/organ ratio).

One of the arguments brought up in discussing ancient fisheries (eg in the Wing and Wing paper) is whether the shift to pelagic fisheries was a result of fishing down reef fish, some environmental change, or the development of improved net technology. It seems like most people agree with the fishing out the reefs explanation. Im not certain of anything but I'm a little skeptical that overfishing reefs is the only answer, although I've no doubt that's part of the picture.  Fishers are a pragmatic bunch and will usually chase the best ratio of cost, value and yield. If you compare pelagics like mahimahi, yellowfin tuna, or swordfish that have fillet yields of 65-80% to snappers and groupers that have fillet yields of 30-35%, you can see the incentive to develop gear capable of catching fast-swimming pelagics. As for small surgeonfish like blue tang, I've never seen a fillet yield published but I would be surprised if it was more than 20-25%. They're quite thin and bony. Large parrotfish such as rainbows and midnights probably have good fillet yields and would therefore be potential targets, depending on how pre-Colombians found their palatability. Fishers I knew in the Turks & Caicos didn't target them because apparently they "tasted like mud".

Fillet yield would also explain why Pacific Islanders do target Acanthurids as preferred species. There are a number of large surgeonfish and unicornfish species in the Pacific that yield enough flesh to be a valuable catch. But I can certainly say that here in the SE Caribbean, nobody gets up in the morning and says "oh boy, I can't wait to catch a blue tang". Nonetheless some are inevitably landed in trap fisheries.

I agree with Les and Tim and Dennis that there are all sorts of underlying complexities that we are not getting at. For example, traditional fisheries "wisdom" (dogma?) tells us that fishing preferentially for piscivores should lead to a release of predation on their prey. For all the preferential pressure on grouper, snapper, grunt etc., and apparent fishing down food webs, was there ever an increase in their herbivorous prey (such as parrotfish and surgeonfish)? I don't know and nor does anyone I've asked. If there wasn't, why not? Sufficient non-target (bycatch) mortality on herbivores? Are we wrong about the effects of releasing predation on herbivores? Or are there simply enough other non-targeted predators (squirrelfishes? morays?) to keep herbivorous fish populations in check?

There is absolutely nothing simple about coral reef ecology or reef fisheries.

Cheers
Mark