[Coral-List] Parrotfishes and coral reef health

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Mon Feb 20 11:16:18 EST 2017

Billy, Tim, Les, others,
One of the problems with e-mail, or with a system like coral-list, is that when a group starts talking, each member chimes in on his/her own timeframe, and it becomes difficult to sort out the threads of the discussion.  I just had to read Les’s latest – the one beginning  “The problem with story-telling…” – three times before I more or less understood what he was talking about.  Les, you use Jeremy, Randy and Bob, assuming we all know which J, R, B you are referring to, and refer to their ‘doctor’ and ‘group therapy’ analogies assuming we all know what you are referring to.  I don’t (perhaps I am an outlier).  Frankly, I’m not sure I am comfortable with your own analogy of scientist interacting with stakeholders as ‘group therapy’ – I also doubt you can sell that concept to the various stakeholders including other scientists, although perhaps if you articulated what you mean more completely, I and others would understand.

I’m not rejecting the underlying ideas, just saying you have not explained them sufficiently for me to get quite what you are intending.  (I’ve also just realized that coral-list is now back in the discussion – good idea – and therefore those reading this, who have missed some meaty e-mails amongst us, must be even more confused.

If we want this thing to move forward (and I think it could be a good idea), we need to set out some goals, a structure/framework, and then get on with fleshing it out.  Alternatively, we can bat it about a bit more on coral-list before we do that (or instead of doing that).

One final thing, in raising the issue of story-telling, I was not implying there is not already growing recognition of this need, and even some good attempts to mentor graduate students in doing so.  I was suggesting that the output from reef science is only occasionally in a form with good narrative structure – especially in the peer-reviewed lit, but also in media intended for wider audience.  And Billy, you are right that stories have to fit the audience.

So, do we want to try to produce something worth publishing at this stage, or stick with coral-list a while longer to pick up further ideas and perhaps further interest?

Peter Sale