[Coral-List] International Congress for Conservation Biology

Observatorio Pro Arrecifes Coralinos icri.colombia at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:15:43 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I have the honor of being the organizer of the Symposium #157 Coral
Reef Conservation Effectiveness. This is a critical review of the
authorities accountability and the progress on evaluations that
produce useful results for the decision makers to guide improvements
in the global / local / national coral reef management. As you may
remember, I organized for the ICRS in Okinawa Japan, the first Session
on Coral Reef Management Effectiveness.

For the ICCB 2017, I included last week 18 participants from USA,
Australia, Canadá, Honduras, México, Seychelles, Colombia and
representatives from Coral Reef Regional Programs.

Great opportunity for the coral reef researchers to discuss about:
1)      How effective are the efforts of coral reef conservation to
achieve ecological, social and economic objectives?
2)      What Performance of Indicators in the Case Studies may point
at effective or ineffective local management vs. natural adaptation?
3)      How successful have been the efforts for Multi-Species Coral
Reef Ecosystem Restoration?
4)      What constrains faced the Coral Mono-Species Restoration?
5)      What Recommendations may improve natural and artificial conservation?

Also the attendees may be interested in diving with us before and
after in our case study #CoralesBahíaCartagena #VaraderoColombia in
July. The dredging plan will not yet be implemented at that time as it
was promised to us by the Colombian Government.

Hopefully in July @ICCB2017 in Cartagena, we can get more scientists
to join the petition:
https://secure.avaaz.org/es/petition/Gobierno_Colombia_Presidente_Juan_Manuel_Santos_Salve_y_Proteja_CoralesBahiaCartagena_Varadero_Colombia_ArrecifesCoral/

Thanks Peter for the announcement,

--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Nacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife (RENOVO)

Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA

Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia