[Coral-List] New paper on coral bacteria under heat stress

Maren Ziegler maren.ziegler at kaust.edu.sa
Mon Feb 27 06:25:17 EST 2017

Dear Coral Listers,

We would like to bring our recent publication to your attention:

Ziegler, M., Seneca, F.O., Yum, L.K., Palumbi, S.R., Voolstra, C.R. (2017)
Bacterial community dynamics are linked to patterns of coral heat tolerance.
Nature Communications 8: 14213.

You can view this open access publication here:
http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14213

Our results show that bacterial communities associated with the coral
Acropora hyacinthus are flexible and adjust to the surrounding environment,
as shown by a long-term transplantation experiment between 'moderately
variable' and 'highly variable' reef pools. The transplanted corals in the
'highly variable' environment bleached less and maintained a stable
bacterial community in a subsequent heat stress experiment, where particular
bacterial taxa were indicative of the coral stress response.

What remains to be determined is whether corals and associated bacteria are
solely responding to the same environmental changes, or whether differences
in the bleaching response of the corals have a direct relationship to the
differences in the associated bacterial communities.

Best regards,
Maren Ziegler
---
Postdoctoral Fellow
Reef Genomics Lab
Red Sea Research Center

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Al-Haytham West (Building 2)
Thuwal, Saudi Arabia 23599-6900
Maren.Ziegler at kaust.edu.sa

--