[Coral-List] Parrotfish and coral

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 27 08:14:47 EST 2017

Hi Gene.

Your post has reminded me how little we know, and caused me to think of some early work.

An embarrassingly long time ago, we published some work on bioeroding fungi (Kendrick et al., 1982: Bull Mar Sci 32:862-867). We were able to get live cultures of fungi from several different places I happened to visit on my sabbatical (Barbados, Heron Island, Lizard Is., Raratonga). This was NOT easy, by the way...

Much to our surprise, many of the fungi turned out to be terrestrial, the sort you might find growing at the back of your fridge. We proposed a mechanism by which the fungi, which are VERY salt-tolerant (one species grows on salt fish), could sort of fall into the ocean, and then learn to bore into carbonate substrates through a combination of grazing pressure and secretion of acidic metabolic  byproducts...but of course they could have been blown in by wind.

Only problem with the modern Caribbean connection is, these eroding fungi go back at least to the early Paleozoic, and probably the PreCambrian. (In an earlier posting, I pointed out that the bioeroding fauna predates scleractinians by a few 100 million years...) There could, of course, be continuous re-infection from Africa...

Mike