[Coral-List] Regulations for operating a tourist submarine in coral reef areas

Matt Nolan mpnolan at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 5 20:03:43 EST 2017

Sorry, I'm no expert but here are a couple suggestions.

Where use of the drop weight is allowed might be an issue. Whatever it
drops on  when it gets used is probably is destroyed.

You need to understand the force generated by the props, at what
distance the force is dissipated to  non-damaging?.

I think a good rule is  a prop shouldn't be allowed to operate above
some level that produces some thresh hold force.

Sub looks awesome. Consider the impression made on whomever can afford
the experience.  Opportunity to create connections to and lasting
impressions on people with significant resources.

Consider having each visitor must  electronically sign in after
watching a short propaganda like safety video.

The operators probably good with maintaining some degree of
exclusivity as long as they can meet the rules. They might suggest a
few rules exclusively for that purpose.  If just anyone can come in
its not as valuable of an experience they are selling. Seems like the
sub had some quality safety features designed into it.  Requiring some
of those might be a good starting point.

Matt Nolan
No Ph.D.