[Coral-List] Bob Ginsburg's passing

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Mon Jul 10 12:13:45 EDT 2017

    With great sadness I regret to report that Robert N. Ginsburg, (Most
of you know as Bob) passed away July 9, 2017. Bob was 91 and had been in
assisted living for the past few years. Few individuals have influenced
the course of carbonate geology and coral reef studies more over the
past 60 years than Robert Nathan Ginsburg. Had he not set the course,
comparative sedimentology as we now know it might never have flourished.
More important, though, was Bob’s rare ability to influence those around
him to think, to ask the “So what?” or “What does it mean?” questions
that we so often forget to ask. Bob can be likened to a Renaissance man,
a visiting scholar from the past centuries. His approach to science was
both philosophical and pragmatic, a natural historian’s attitude that at
first seems out of step with today’s high-tech computer model-driven
science. We will all miss him. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor