[Coral-List] Bob Ginsburg -- how a geologist triggered global coral reef conservation

Alex Brylske brylske at me.com
Tue Jul 11 14:58:28 EDT 2017

When I finished my masters I decided to pursue a Ph.D. not in research but in education; and reason for that was the influence of two individuals who—though primarily scientists themselves—were also inspirational educators. One of them was Gene Kaplan at Hofstra. The other was Bob Ginsburg. The presentation he developed in the late 90s on coral reefs as “cities in the sea” was not only the focus my dissertation, but became the underpinning of my entire outlook on the subject of coral reef education. With absolutely no benefit to him professionally, Bob spent many hours talking to me about how he thought coral reef education could be improved; and he even agreed to advise me periodically as I slogged trough the dissertation process. I truly never met a kinder or more selfless individual. To say he will be missed is a gross understatement.

Alex

Alex. F. Brylske, Ph.D.
Professor, Marine Science & Technology
Florida Keys Community College