[Coral-List] Bob Ginsburg's legacy

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Thu Jul 13 11:32:49 EDT 2017

Please post for the AGRRA team.
Thank you,
Judy Lang
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear Gene and fellow coral-listers,
All of us with the AGRRA team are saddened by the loss of our colleague and dear friend, Dr. Robert N. Ginsburg. As many of you know, Bob has been the guiding visionary force, mentor and “father” of AGRRA’s efforts for 20 years and has supported the AGRRA program through his foundation, The Ocean Research and Education Foundation (ORE).
What started off with Bob’s seemingly simple question in 1993 of “What is the status of our coral reefs?” turned into a collective global quest to better understand and protect these underwater ecosystems. Motivated by numerous colleagues and students, many of whom are now life-long friends, Bob became a spokesperson for the importance of coral reef science and rallied behind the urgent call to action to increase the protection of coral reefs.
Bob had a unique way of weaving together science, exploration, history, field trips, education, conservation, art, humor, storytelling, good food and music. Bob’s eloquent and thought-provoking speaking style and endless source of interesting stories not only piqued our scientific curiosities but engaged us in caring more about the future of coral reefs. He delighted in using analogies to explain the complexities of reefs in more simpler terms such as how corals are like apartment buildings or how Diadema urchins are the lawnmowers of the reef. Yet, he encouraged us as colleagues and students to think on larger spatial scales and broader geologic time frames and to consider how to make our scientific endeavors more relevant.
In addition to Bob’s many academic and geological contributions over his lifetime, we honor and celebrate the chapter of his life dedicated to coral reefs. Bob has inspired new generations of ocean scientists, enthusiasts, educators and conservationists. We are grateful for his wisdom, humor, and friendship.
It has been encouraging to hear of the stories shared by many of you on the coral list. We invite all of you who can to send us a photo or “Ginsburg-inspired” story to the email below to add to the collection we are collating for his memorial this weekend and for a celebration of his life later in the fall.
In the meantime, our many thanks to those who are sharing their warm remembrances of Bob.
Sincerely,
Philip and Patricia Kramer, Judith Lang, Kenneth and Tammy Marks, Shirley Gun, Lynette Roth and all of us with the AGRRA team
Atlantic Gulf and Rapid Reef Assessment Website: www.agrra.org
Email: info at agrra.org <mailto:info at agrra.org>
If you would like to contribute a story or photo or would like more information on plans later this fall for a celebration of Bob’s life, please email Shirley Gunn at shirley at agrra.org or info at agrra.org <mailto:info at agrra.org>.