[Coral-List] AGU Fall Meeting Session PP022: High Resolution, High Latitude Marine Proxies

Dan Sinclair djsweb1971 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 19 19:37:06 EDT 2017

We would like to remind everyone that the deadline for submitting abstracts to the AGU Fall Meeting in New Orleans is fast approaching. Early bird abstract submission is 26th July, and final abstract deadline is 2nd August.

For those intending to come, we would like to invite submissions for our session on HIGH RESOLUTION, HIGH LATITUDE MARINE PROXIES (PP022)

We are excited to announce Professor Laura Robinson (Bristol) as an invited presenter.

Session Description:
The oceans strongly influence climate and provide resources to much of the planet’s population. Understanding ocean dynamics on societally-relevant timescales is therefore essential. The oceans naturally vary on timescales of months to millennia, but quality instrumental records are scarce prior to the satellite era, and seldom span more than a few decades. We must therefore use proxy records to characterize ocean dynamics on timescales longer than our narrow window of perception. Marine sediments provide longer-timescale information, but only infrequently at sub-centennial resolution, leaving a critical gap in the decadal to centennial timescales in which ocean dynamics remain poorly characterized. In low latitudes, this gap is filled by tropical corals, but only recently have high resolution proxies emerged capable of providing decadal-resolution ocean data in temperate to polar waters. In this session, we invite submissions in the emerging field of high-latitude high-re!
solution marine proxies, including new records, new archives, new proxies and new analytical techniques.

Session Website:
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session25013

Session Conveners:
Dan Sinclair (Victoria University of Wellington)
Owen Sherwood (University of Colorado and Dalhousie University)

See you all in New Orleans!

Dan Sinclair
School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand