[Coral-List] Effects of nuclear testing on coral reefs

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:17:43 EDT 2017

Thanks, Peter!  I wasn't aware of that paper.  I see that Google Scholar
has a link to a copy on Researchgate, open, I just downloaded it.  I see
the abstract says that fish populations recovered in 1-5 years.

Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Peter Sale <sale at uwindsor.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> The recent comments by Doug Fenner and Maria Beger concerning status of
> coral reefs on atolls of the northern Marshall Islands, reminded me of a
> paper I had a hand in in 2005.
>
> The paper concerned the impacts on fish communities of the nuclear tests
> carrier out on Mururoa Atoll.  Despite being published in Ecology, it has
> been cited relatively few times.  That may mean that the results were so
> surprising that people did not know what to do with them, or it may be
> something to do with politics and the fact that much of the western world
> was uptight over French testing on Mururoa - a bit of anglo "only America
> gets to blow up atolls, and only the UK gets to use other people's deserts
> for nuclear testing with impunity" sort of thing.  I don't know for sure.
>
> Anyhow, the paper said nothing about coral but much about fish communities
> that seemed to recover quite well, as I remember.
>
> The citation is Planes, S., R. Galzin, J.-P. Bablet, and P.F. Sale, 2005.
> Stability of coral reef fish assemblages impacted by nuclear tests.
> Ecology 86: 2578-2585.
>
> Peter Sale
> University of Windsor
> sale at uwindsor.ca<mailto:sale at uwindsor.ca>
> www.petersalebooks.com<http://www.petersalebooks.com>

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS Protected Species, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

New online open-access field guide to 300 coral species in Chagos, Indian
Ocean
http://chagosinformationportal.org/corals

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Inaction on climate change risks leaving future generations 530 trillion
dollars in debt.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/inaction-climate-change-risks-leaving-151425043.html

Study: heat waves predicted to make some countries uninhabitable by 2100 if
global warming not controlled.  Mora, Camilo et 17 al. 2017.  Global risk
of deadly heat. Nature Climate Change.
http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/mora/Publications/Mora%20059.pdf

Study: Stopping global warming only way to save coral reefs.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-stopping-global-warming-only-way-save-coral-180833431.html