[Coral-List] Symposium on Effective Conservation @ICCB2017

elisa.bayraktarov elisa.bayraktarov at gmx.de
Fri Jul 21 00:08:35 EDT 2017

Dear Nohora and Coral List,
While seeing myself as an advocate for an ecologically, socially and economically meaningful conservation of global coral reefs, I think we should acknowledge that smart and effective coral conservation will always include elements from both protection and restoration.
There are scenarios under which restoration may be more cost effective and provide more benefits than protection over time (see Possingham et al. 2015).
Which approach to use will always depend on the specific situation, whether the natural recovery of coral reefs can be supported through management and the available budget that we have to actively intervene. I am curious to know what the other coral listers think.
At the ICCB2017 in Cartagena, I will present a 'Synthesis on coral reef restoration efforts' in the symposium on Policy and Practice on Tuesday 25th 11:30 - 13:00 in Arsenal.
Further readings can be found here:
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Elisa_Bayraktarov/publication/317631929_Response_to_%27Rebutting_the_inclined_analyses_on_the_cost-effectiveness_and_feasibility_of_coral_reef_restoration%27/links/5949d4e44585158b8fd5c015/Response-to-Rebutting-the-inclined-analyses-on-the-cost-effectiveness-and-feasibility-of-coral-reef-restoration.pdf
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1890/15-1077/full
Looking forward to catching up at ICCB!
CheersElisa

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Nohora Galvis <icri.colombia at gmail.com> Date: 20/7/17  01:35  (GMT+10:00) To: Coral-List <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> Subject: [Coral-List] Symposium on Effective Conservation @ICCB2017
Dear 9,400 members of the Coral-List,

The ICCB2017 is starting soon in Cartagena, we will moderate the
knowledge café on "Voices of Conservation" Monday at 14:30.

We will also have a Panel to discuss threats to coral reef
preservation as a natural ecosystem as organizers of the Symposium on
Effective Conservation.

We will not refer to restauration as building one coral species as
that is a theme for other kind of meetings on artificial reefs because
for us Active Conservation involves the unanimous recommendations in
the abstracts to protect effectivley the coral reef refuges such
#VaraderoColombia and stop / diminish the local and global threats as
the way to effectively save more coral reefs with a natural ecosytem
function with multi-species complex structure keeping the
#OceanOptimism #ConservationOptimism #GlobalBehaviorChange
#GlobalBehaviOURchange

Specifically we invite you to attend the first talk of the Symposium
157 on Tuesday 25th of July to be aware of the Psychosocial Phenomena
some coral reef scientist are facing, such as the bystander effect and
diffusion of responsibility when they are less likely to offer help in
conservation campaigns leaving other leaders to take action. The
priorities of some coral reef scientists are measured with units of
USD $$ as they receive funding to justify unsustainable development
allowing coral reef destruction while they offer "SAVING THE REEF" by
breaking some coral colonies to paste them some place else without
futher monitoring to follow the survivorship, morbility and high
mortality of ALL taxonomic groups at the natural coral reef ecosystem.

The coral reef divers who want to join us at diving at
#CoralesBahíaCartagena #ClimateChangeRefuge please contact me as I am
staying at http://www.coralesdeindias.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3KKthdWV1QIVxySBCh2PJgTkEAAYASAAEgJeHfD_BwE
--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife

Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA

Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia