[Coral-List] sea level rise speeding up

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 02:55:48 EDT 2017

To further illustrate the concerns I raised below, a recent paper
discusses the problems in using AVHRR SST data near to coastlines (a
scenario which directly concerns those working on many coral reefs).

Brewin et al. Evaluating operational AVHRR sea surface temperature data
at the coastline using surfers, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science,
Volume 196, 5 September 2017, Pages 276-289, ISSN 0272-7714,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2017.07.011.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027277141730313X)

This is what they found:

"At the coastline we observe a significant degradation in the
performance of AVHRR at retrieving SST ..... , with significantly higher
root mean square errors ......  in the range of 1.0 to 2.0 °C. This
clearly limits the use of AVHRR SST data at the coastline for
applications that require errors to be less than that in this range.
This finding is consistent with that of Smit et al. (2013), who caution
against the use of 4 km SST MODIS Terra and Pathfinder v5.2 products
around the coastline of South Africa, and observed significant biases
between the satellite and in situ datasets. .................  for the
majority of applications where error requirements in SST are lower than
1.0 °C, there needs to be a significant improvement in the satellite
AVHRR SST processing systems at the coastline."

Richard P Dunne