[Coral-List] Coral Reef Insurance

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 28 10:49:08 EDT 2017

Dear Angie,

It is a positive step to see the private sector involved in marine management and conservation in coral reef areas. That being said, I believe we must be cautious as to the context in which it is being presented. To suggest that the coral reefs in this area are now "insured" against storm damage could prove counter-productive. My fear is that when headlines read "Mexico Launches Pioneering Scheme To Insure Its Coral Reef" it can (perhaps unintentionally) reinforce a narrative that suggests that issues such as water quality, over-fishing and climate change have been wildly overblown. My cynicism is regretful but well earned for I come out of an industry that has promoted itself as being conservation oriented yet has for far too long adhered to short-sighted policy positions which continually and designedly ignore the greatest threats.

Regards,
Steve

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPad