[Coral-List] Suitable lighting for coral maintenance in the aquarium

Tim Wijgerde wijgerde at coralpublications.com
Fri Jun 2 12:35:48 EDT 2017

Hi Ruediger,

Too much (blue) light is too much, there's certainly quite some data to
support that view. Next to the action spectrum of zooxanthellae, it is
interesting to note that blue light seems to entrain the cell cycle of
zooxanthellae (for example see Wang et al. 2008). Without blue light, corals
don't fare that well after some time (Kinzie et al. 1984, 1987, Wijgerde et
al. 2014).

This certainly is an interesting topic! I am starting a new experiment using
narrow bandwidth LED's soon, to look at a host of coral responses to various
individual colors. Good times.

Cheers!

Tim

Kinzie III RA, Hunter T (1987) Effect of light quality on photosynthesis of
the reef coral Montipora verrucosa. Mar Biol 94:95–109

Kinzie III RA, Jokiel PL, York R (1984) Effects of light of altered spectral
composition on coral zooxanthellae associations and on zooxanthellae in
vitro. Mar Biol 78:239–248

Wang L–H, Liu Y–H, Ju Y–M, Hsiao Y–Y, Fang L–S, et al. (2008) Cell cycle
propagation is driven by light–dark stimulation in a cultured symbiotic
dinoflagellate isolated from corals. Coral Reefs 27:823–835

Wijgerde T, van Melis A, Silva CIF, Leal MC, Vogels L, et al. (2014) Red
Light Represses the Photophysiology of the Scleractinian Coral Stylophora
pistillata. PLoS ONE 9(3): e92781. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092781