[Coral-List] Reef tourism: Muck Diving

Benjamin Neal benjaminpneal at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 10:19:55 EDT 2017

I dove there as well for about a week a couple of years ago, shooting
images for the XL Catlin Seaview Survey. In covering about ten linear
kilometres (we use a dive propulsion vehicle), I saw in some spots more
garbage piled up underwater than I have ever seen before or since. I think
the terrestrial supply of garbage is pretty large, but probably not
different than other places in Indonesia with similar populations. What
seemed different there was that the strong currents in the Strait seemed to
be concentrating it in certain areas, forming windrows appearing tens of
centimetres deep. It made me a believer that submerged, benthic
anthropogenic household garbage accumulation can be great enough to cover
and physically choke out large areas of the bottom, something I had not
before believed  was really possible.

We also saw evidence of ongoing poison fishing in the area, on Lembeh
Island close to Bitung. I came away thinking this was a dive area well past
the curve of onset of significant human impact, and likely headed for a
condition where the reef would no longer support dive tourism. It is
interesting that it seems that overdevelopment is not possible to control
by top-down planning methods, nor is it controlled by bottom-up market
forces, even well after that development has put an area on the path to
visible, tangible deterioration (sensu G. Hardin). Not encouraging.

Ben Neal