[Coral-List] Inquiry regarding marine protected area management effectiveness evaluation

Tegan Hoffmann tchurcherhoffmann at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 10 10:48:31 EDT 2017

Dear Rich and Colleagues,

In response to Rich’s request regarding frameworks to assess management effectiveness and using these results for trainings and capacity building, I wanted to share a useful tool that our firm, Blue Earth Consultants (Blue Earth), a division of Eastern Research Group (ERG), Inc., developed related to MPA management effectiveness. In 2012, Blue Earth conducted research on cases of successful MPA networks and large MPA implementation. Our research was informed by examining scientific and grey literature and interviews with key experts and marine protected area managers. Based on this research, we developed a framework identifying five key elements for successful, effective MPA implementation, including: 1) legal framework; 2) strong management plan; 3) operational capacity (including surveillance and enforcement; monitoring and evaluation, and outreach); 4) social capital; and 5) long-term financial sustainability.  Following development of this framework, we subsequently used it to assess the status of these elements within MPAs and MPA networks in California, Oregon, and Costa Rica, using the results of our analyses to conduct trainings and capacity building activities with key decision-makers in government and partners as well as MPA managers and providing management entities with recommended mechanisms for strengthening these elements.

The full report describing this framework, components of each effectiveness element, and showing how we applied the framework in California is available at http://www.blueearthconsultants.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Key_Elements_and_Innovations_for_MPA_Implementation_Public.pdf. Additionally, for a description of our implementation of this framework in Oregon, please visit http://www.blueearthconsultants.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/FINAL_BEC_Packard_Oregon_Marine_Reserve_Key_Elements_Report.pdf.

We encourage others to apply this framework in their assessment of MPA management effectiveness and are also open to feedback on the framework. If you have questions about the framework or its application, please feel free to email me Tegan.hoffmann at erg.com or Blue Earth Senior Analyst Diana Pietri at diana.pietri at erg.com .

Warmest regards,

Tegan Hoffmann

Tegan Churcher Hoffmann PhD
Vice President
Blue Earth Consultants, a Division of ERG
Please note my new email address!
e-mail: Tegan.Hoffmann at erg.com  | tel: 510.268.8209 | cell: 510.847.3167
www.erg.com | www.blueearthconsultants.com

 please think before you print | This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.