[Coral-List] Global risk of deadly heat (Vassil

Ruben van Hooidonk - NOAA Affiliate ruben.van.hooidonk at noaa.gov
Fri Jun 23 16:13:51 EDT 2017

Hi,

Under emission scenario RCP8.5 average global temperature increase
would be in the 5-6ºC range.
(https://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=438) The temperature
offset of a new Maunder-type solar activity minimum would be in the
range of 0.1-0.3ºC
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2010GL042710/full). The
effect of solar activity is small, especially compared to the enormous
effects of CO2. We need to reduce our carbon emissions! In fact if we
don't, the projected stress will cause twice-per-decade severe
bleaching at 25 of the 29 of the UNESCO World Heritage sites with
coral reefs (86%) by 2040.  http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1676