[Coral-List] AGU Fall Meeting Session: High Resolution, High Latitude Marine Proxies

Dan Sinclair djsweb1971 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 25 06:06:06 EDT 2017

(apologies for cross posting)

We would like to advertise the following Session at the upcoming AGU Fall Meeting in New Orleans (December 11th to 15th)

HIGH RESOLUTION, HIGH LATITUDE MARINE PROXIES

Dan Sinclair (Victoria University of Wellington)
Owen Sherwood (University of Colorado and Dalhousie University)

The oceans strongly influence climate and provide resources to much of the planet’s population. Understanding ocean dynamics on societally-relevant timescales is therefore essential. The oceans naturally vary on timescales of months to millennia, but quality instrumental records are scarce prior to the satellite era, and seldom span more than a few decades. We must therefore use proxy records to characterize ocean dynamics on timescales longer than our narrow window of perception. Marine sediments provide longer-timescale information, but only infrequently at sub-centennial resolution, leaving a critical gap in the decadal to centennial timescales in which ocean dynamics remain poorly characterized. In low latitudes, this gap is filled by tropical corals, but only recently have high resolution proxies emerged capable of providing decadal-resolution ocean data in temperate to polar waters. In this session, we invite submissions in the emerging field of high-latitude high-resolution marine proxies, including new records, new archives, new proxies and new analytical techniques.

Invited presenters will be announced shortly.

Abstract submission is open now. Early bird abstract deadline is Wednesday 26th July. Abstract submission deadline is August 2nd.

Dan Sinclair
School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
New Zealand