[Coral-List] Whats really killing the corals

Mark Chiappone mc191 at nova.edu
Thu Jun 29 21:21:35 EDT 2017

Thank you Gene for posting this. I was thinking the same. Look at what we have done to our local coastlines, and add to that the regional and global stressors? Did anyone actually think we could do all of this and that there would not be some serious effects? Big fouling plates, that's our reefs, like many of us called it a generation ago. Lots of food in the water, and it shows. Not a good time for corals, and probably not anytime soon. Protect the structures that are there in the context of their value in terms of fisheries habitat and shoreline protection, minimize the human impacts, to the extent possible, on a local scale and pray, I guess.

Mark Chiappone

NSU Halmos School of Natural Sciences and Oceanography

8000 N. Ocean Drive, Dania Beach, FL 33004
305.898.5390

mc191 at nova.edu