[Coral-List] how to communicate a commonality with corals

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 13:33:24 EST 2017

Rob (and Coral-List),

yes, when I give talks about coral reefs and climate change, or endangered species, people ask me, "What can I do?".

When I tell people what they can do, what truly must be done, they are not happy at all. Some people get angry at me. Some even call me an "environmental nazi". I'm considering learning some Bruce Lee moves because one day I might need to physically defend myself. Words are no longer enough.

The truth is that switching light bulbs, recycling, composting, using a bicycle, going solar and other environmentally friendly things are good, are important but are not enough.

I'm not sure people are ready to handle the truth. I don't know if Coral-List is the forum to have the hard talk.

I collect a list of things we must do. Perhaps for a new blog entry. Perhaps someone has an open mind and wants to listen without killing the messenger.

Meanwhile, I suggest revisiting Plato's Allegory of the Cave, and a good read of James Lovelock's "A Rough Guide to the Future" and "Gaia: A New Look at Life on Earth".

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Blog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.com
http://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres