[Coral-List] article genetic sex determination in red coral

AURELLE Didier didier.aurelle at univ-amu.fr
Fri Mar 10 07:03:43 EST 2017

Dear all

here is our new article on the genetic sex determination in the Mediterranean red coral Corallium rubrum,

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/4/3/160880

Best regards

Didier

abstract:

Sexual reproduction is widespread among eukaryotes, and the sex-determining processes vary greatly among species. While genetic sex determination (GSD) has been intensively described in bilaterian species, no example has yet been recorded among non-bilaterians. However, the quasi-ubiquitous repartition of GSD among multicellular species suggests that similar evolutionary forces can promote this system, and that these forces could occur also in non-bilaterians. Studying sex determination across the range of Metazoan diversity is indeed important to understand better the evolution of this mechanism and its lability. We tested the existence of sex-linked genes in the gonochoric red coral (Corallium rubrum, Cnidaria) using restriction site-associated DNA sequencing. We analysed 27?461 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in 354 individuals from 12 populations including 53 that were morphologically sexed. We found a strong association between the allele frequencies of 472 SNPs and the sex of individuals, suggesting an XX/XY sex-determination system. This result was confirmed by the identification of 435 male-specific loci. An independent test confirmed that the amplification of these loci enabled us to identify males with absolute certainty. This is the first demonstration of a GSD system among non-bilaterian species and a new example of its convergence in multicellular eukaryotes.

--

Didier AURELLE
Courriel: didier.aurelle at univ-amu.fr<mailto:didier.aurelle at univ-amu.fr>

Maître de Conférences
UMR 7263 IMBE (Institut Méditerranéen de Biodiversité et d'Ecologie marine et continentale)<http://www.imbe.fr/>
Aix-Marseille Université / Institut Pythéas
Station Marine d'Endoume
Chemin de la batterie des Lions
13007 Marseille FRANCE
Tel: + 33 4 91 04 16 18 / Fax: + 33 4 91 04 16 35

http://didier.aurelle.perso.luminy.univ-amu.fr/

The ADACNI project
http://adacni.imbe.fr<http://adacni.imbe.fr/>