[Coral-List] Looking for contacts/papers

Helen Brunt helen.brunt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:00:01 EST 2017

Dear Steven,

Regarding your enquiry below posted to the Coral List, I’d like to share a few references which may be of interest to you.

I am a development anthropologist who for almost a decade coordinated a community and marine conservation initiative in and around the Tun Sakaran Marine Park in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo http://sempornaislandsproject.org <http://sempornaislandsproject.org/>

The majority of the population living in and around the Marine Park are from the Sama-Bajau ethnographic-linguistic group. A large number of these people are not recognised as Malaysian citizens, nor citizens of any other country rendering them at a high risk of being ‘stateless’. In 2013 I wrote my Masters dissertation at the University of Sussex, UK on the nexus between natural resource management and statelessness, using the case study of the Same Dilaut (aka Bajau Laut) in the Tun Sakaran Marine Park. You can find it here: https://www.academia.edu/4980363/Stateless_Stakeholders_Seen_But_Not_Heard_The_Case_of_the_Sama_Dilaut_in_Sabah_Malaysia <https://www.academia.edu/4980363/Stateless_Stakeholders_Seen_But_Not_Heard_The_Case_of_the_Sama_Dilaut_in_Sabah_Malaysia>

Abstract: Natural resource management and local livelihoods constitute an integrated and complex area of study, frequently involving multiple stakeholders with competing interests and priorities. It is widely acknowledged that some stakeholders have more power and more influence than others. Stateless people, vulnerable due to their lack of citizenship, are often excluded from decision-making processes that affect them. The Sama Dilaut (also known as Bajau Laut) are a largely stateless maritime community living in the coastal region of the east Malaysian state of Sabah. This dissertation investigates how the condition of statelessness affects the extent to which meaningful participation in marine conservation management can occur, and how institutions involved in this management perceive and respond to stateless people. By focusing on stateless people without political recognition in Malaysia, this study contributes to an increased understanding of the vulnerable position of stateless people in a multi-‘racial’ country and the dynamics of natural resource management involving multiple stakeholders.

I’ve also researched and co-authored a paper with Greg Acciaioli, Julian Clifton from the University of Western Australia (and others) on 'Statelessness and Conservation Exploring the Implications of an International Governance Agenda’, which can be accessed here: http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/journals/10.1163/22112596-01902009 <http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/journals/10.1163/22112596-01902009>

Julian Clifton and Greg Acciaioli have also published other work on the Bajau/Sama in the Coral Triangle countries. I’d be happy to continue this discussion off-list and introduce you to others working in this field if this would be useful?

Best wishes,
Helen