[Coral-List] 'Internships'

Ashton Williams ashton.n.williams at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 04:14:12 EDT 2017

In 2015, Auriel M.V. Fournier and Alexander Bond looked at the prevalence
of unpaid work in their opinion piece "Volunteer Field Technicians Are Bad
for Wildlife Ecology."  It's a short read and available on ResearchGate.
They found that nearly 40% of positions posted were either unpaid or
pay-to-work, and argued that "unpaid technician positions create a sharp
class divide, do not promote diversity, and disproportionately affect
minorities because only the already privileged are able to be unpaid for
lengths of time."

>From a student perspective, 'internships' are often nothing more than
fraudulently-advertised volunteer positions.  Many of these positions
exploit interns, 'allowing' them to perform grunt work and offering them no
marketable skills or knowledge.  Students typically must also pay for
academic credits for these internships.  I personally had a terrible
experience with an 'internship' at an aquarium; interns were promised a
curriculum that included hands-on training, assignments, readings, etc.,
but in reality received none of those things and did nothing more than
clean poop and prepare meals.  I paid $1600 for that credit hour and got
nothing in return.  Can that truly be considered an internship?

To be clear, I'm not arguing against volunteer positions.  But there is a
difference between a 'volunteer position' and an 'internship.'  An
internship promises skills, knowledge, and valuable experience.  A
volunteer position is for fun and personal enrichment.  We need to stop
conflating the two.

The fact is that low-income and minority students and early-career
scientists don't have access to the same opportunities as more affluent
white students, and 'internships' are making it worse.  I'm sure there are
good internships, but they are few and far between.  If we truly want
science to be a meritocracy, then how can we justify these unethical
practices and continue to exploit students and young scientists?

I'm sure there are plenty of coral-listers who have had unpaid interns come
through their labs, and may even have unpaid interns right now.  I wonder
how many of those interns were from affluent families, and how many were
minorities or from low-income families?  I suspect we already know the
answer, but I would appreciate hearing from the other side of the fence on
this issue.

Best,
Ashton