[Coral-List] Evidence that ocean warming has caused most Caribbean coral loss

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Tue May 2 08:18:39 EDT 2017

Richard,

What I am saying is,
1) In the very recent past there were temperature changes more dramatic than what is predicted to happen in the coming century,
2) there were global transgressions more dramatic than what is predicted to happen in the coming century,
3) all now living coral species survived all of this, and they probably have experienced many such events.
4) Of course, many coral REEFS went from being barrier or fringing reefs to becoming submerged reefs, but so what? New species take over.

Here is an article for you to start digging: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230135618_A_jokulhlaup_from_a_Laurentian_captured_ice_shelf_to_the_Gulf_of_Mexico_could_have_caused_the_bolling_warming <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230135618_A_jokulhlaup_from_a_Laurentian_captured_ice_shelf_to_the_Gulf_of_Mexico_could_have_caused_the_bolling_warming>

The biggest upset was not to the corals, it was to the human civilizations that existed close to the sea. Many cities were buried, many civilizations went under and are only preserved in myths. What Plato writes about the sinking of Atlantis is with high probability based on actual events, the sinking of Dogger Bank in the North Sea around the year 8,200 BC as a result of a global transgression punctuated by a megatsunami at a critical time when only a low island remained. However, the western seaboard of Europe is full of accounts of sunken cities. Such myths abound around the world. Some have suggested they have to do with psychology but they don't; they all reflect real events. How can I be sure? Because on the island of Gotland that instead has risen from the sea, the creation myth talks about the island risking from the sea. And take the Lakota myth of the water monster Unktehi that blocked the river and then let out all the water. That is just what the inland ice sheet did according to recent geological findings (around the year 14,600 BC). A huge flood on the Mississippi is also recorded by Native American myths further down river. And all of this is confirmed by geology; every ice age of our present ice age period (i.e. the last million years or so) has created a separate canyon and submarine fan in the Gulf of Mexico, accumulating miles of sediment (in thickness).

What do you think the inflow of all that glacial meltwater in less than a year did for the corals in the Caribbean? You'd expect them all to be dead by now, wouldn't you? Each of those mega floods raised the global sea level by meters. Yet all the coral species living there naturally today survived, because there has been no migration over the Central American isthmus since. The mega floods must also have plaid havoc with the circulation in the Caribbean Sea. All societies founded on deltas and lowlands must have been wiped out (except those with enough foresight to build a boat, like Noah; speaking of which, the Biblical account of the deluge forms part of these myths that tell the story of the last mega flood: It tells us that the water rose by 15 cubits, i.e. around 7 meters, and that is in the realm of where geology says if was).

Now, returning to the issue of why corals are dying. The coral death started decades ago, yet the PREDICTED DRAMATIC GLOBAL WARMING EFFECTS HAVE NOT YET HAPPENED. So even if the predictions are true, and even if they would be unprecedented (which they are clearly not), it can still not explain the coral decline already observed. THE ONLY REASONABLE EXPLANATION IS POLLUTION.

We don't have to point out which chemical and how it affects the cells. It is enough to take a geographical / geological approach and say, the last 2 centuries the humans have released an ever larger number of completely new chemical species in the environment, many of which are sure to be very toxic to at least some species, most of which is probably still unknown. What goes up in the atmosphere gets mixed up in a matter of months or years; what goes into the surface of the ocean gets mixed up in a matter of decades through the gyres; and what goes into the deep ocean gets mixed up in a matter of millennia through the thermohaline circulation. Most of the North American pollution reaches the Gulf Stream, and some circulates back to the Caribbean, another branch goes past Europe and sinks to become new global bottom water, emerging in a thousand years or so in the eastern Pacific from where it will then bathe the Pacific corals. Remember Silent Spring? What happened to fresh water lakes and rivers back then also happens to the ocean, it just takes a lot longer time, but eventually all the hens will come home to roost.

What to do about it? Change paradigm, do as the European Union: Instead af allowing everything except what is banned, ban everything new until it has been approved. And FORCE COMPANIES TO DECLARE THE CONTENT IN THEIR PRODUCTS. The U.S. law that allows ingredients to be secret is appalling and mind-boggling.

Ulf Erlingsson
Lindorm, Inc.
http://lindorm.com