[Coral-List] Functional microbial ecology in coral reef ecosystems- session n°5 at next ECRS

Christine Ferrier ferrier at centrescientifique.mc
Sun May 7 13:37:36 EDT 2017

We would like to draw your attention to the abstract submission portal which is now open for the upcoming European Coral Reef Symposium (ECRS) 2017 at the University of Oxford, UK (December 13, 2017 - December 15, 2017).

 We are hosting a session dedicated to the Functional microbial ecology in coral reef ecosystems

 Abstract submission and conference information can be found by following this link: http://www.reefconservationuk.co.uk/ecrs-2017.html. To submit to this session click on session no. 5.

 Note: Abstract submission is open until the 30th June 2017. We look forward to your participation in our session and seeing you at Oxford!

 Please do not hesitate to contact any of the organising team if you have further questions.

 Session 5. Functional microbial ecology in coral reef ecosystems

 Michael Sweet, Christian R. Voolstra, Christine Ferrier-Pages, Maren Ziegler, Jeroen van de Water & Eslam O. Osman

Microbial processes play a pivotal role in the health and resilience of coral reefs. For instance, microbial metabolism is involved in the main biogeochemical cycles of reef ecosystems. In addition, microbes such as Bacteria, Archaea, viruses, fungi, protists, and other microscopic Eukaryotes interact and engage in symbioses with corals and other reef organisms (e.g., algae, sponges, and seagrass) forming so-called holobionts. Holobiont-associated microbes or the ‘microbiome’ as it is often referred to as, provide functions related to metabolism, development, and immunity to their animal and plant partners, and it is crucial to understand how changing environmental conditions are altering these relationships. Changes in the associated microbial consortia entail potential functional changes that may pose harmful effects on hosts and reef ecosystems and a relatively new term, the ‘pathobiome’ has been proposed to explain any microbial related shifts and changes to the community which often result in diseased or stressed states and challenges the “one pathogen = one disease” school of thought. On the other hand, altered microbial communities also represent a potential resource for holobiont adaptation. Our session will focus on the structure and function of microbial communities in coral reef ecosystems and how they are affected by environmental change. We invite contributions that examine microbial processes such as trophic and nutrient cycling, microbe-microbe, and microbe-host interactions, and the mechanisms underlying coral reef resilience under environmental and anthropogenic stress.