[Coral-List] Is any reef "remote?"

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed May 17 14:45:31 EDT 2017

Dear Mike and Dennis,
Bear with me on this for a moment please. I don't think that anybody who seriously studies these issue is going to advocate that we disregard efforts to manage local stressors. These projects need to be continually encouraged and supported, but at the same time I strongly believe that local reef conservation efforts need to make it clear that local action is not, in and of itself, a cure all. The problem I have with some (local) conservation projects is that they can give the impression that if we do X (e.g. eliminate debris or invasive lionfish) that all will be well with the reefs.  I realize that some conservationists are avoiding the mention of climate change in an effort to maintain widespread support, but this smacks of some sort of "reverse political correctness" if you will. What's wrong with telling it like it is? We need to do a lot of things differently if we are to have any chance of conserving coral reefs for future generations. Truth be told, we need both local and global action, neither is expendable.         Steve

Sent from my iPad