[Coral-List] Is any reef "remote?"

Thomas Mario DeCarlo tdecarlo at mit.edu
Wed May 17 19:38:15 EDT 2017

Perhaps it's semantics, but it seems to me that many coral reefs can be considered "remote", as in difficult to access or far away from the population centers. Of course remote coral reefs can still be "impacted" (or even covered with rubbish!) and "remote" is certainly not synonymous with "pristine". But when considering local vs global impacts on coral reefs I think there is at least some utility in the word "remote", even if it is subjective.

Tom DeCarlo