[Coral-List] Varadero Reef - Colombia

Valeria Pizarro valepizarro at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 10:42:40 EDT 2017

Dear coral listers,

Some of you have read about Varadero Reef, which is a Colombian Caribbean reef thriving in the polluted waters of Cartagena Bay and discovered by researchers between 2013 and 2014. We are conducting a study to understand how this corals live under what seems to be a highly polluted and sedimented waters. Unfortunately plans to dredge a shipping channel through the reef are part of the port enterprise and the government agenda and if this goes it will start between the end of this year and the beginning of the next.
We would like the support of all the reef scientists, we invite you to support the petition, it will take you few minutes of your time:
https://www.change.org/p/anla- minambienteco- salvemosvaradero-no-a-un- canal-sobre-un-arrecife-%C3% BAnico-en-el-mundo?source_ location=topic_page

To lear a little about Varadero Reef we invite you to visit some of the following links:
https://link.springer.com/ article/10.1007/s00338-014- 1246-y
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Coral_reef_of_Varadero
http://terra.oregonstate.edu/ 2017/01/the-heroic-reef/

And to see the video:The Global Coral Microbiome Project, Part 3 - The Heroic Reef
Thank you all,
Valeria Pizarro (Ecomares NGO - Colombia)

Our project collaborators:
Monica Medina (Medina Lab, Penn State University - USA) - PIF. Joseph Pollock (Medina Lab, Penn State University - USA)Roberto Iglesias-Prieto (Penn State University - USA)Mateo López-Victoria (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Sede Cali - Colombia)