[Coral-List] Sahara dust

Scott Stripling - NOAA Federal scott.stripling at noaa.gov
Tue May 23 03:19:18 EDT 2017

Melissa-

We have noticed Saharan Air and associated dust making it across the
Atlantic and the Caribbean
already this year, with a relatively impressive area moving across the
eastern Caribbean at this time.
See the UW-CIMSS analysis and loops here Saharan Air Analysis
<http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/salmain.php?&prod=splitE&time> ,
where orange and red colors
depict very dry air. In fact, some dust made it into Miami and across South
Florida just a few days ago,
so warm season processes are already at play.

Scott Stripling
TAFB/National Hurricane Center

"Water and air, the two essential fluids on which all life depends, have
become global garbage cans."
 Jacques Yves Cousteau