[Coral-List] Coral Reef Engineers In A Changing Ocean – Session invitation (ECRS 2017)

Florian Roth florian.roth at kaust.edu.sa
Tue May 30 13:55:56 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,
Registration and abstract submission for the upcoming European Coral Reef Symposium in Oxford is now open!
http://www.reefconservationuk.co.uk/ecrs-2017.html <http://www.reefconservationuk.co.uk/ecrs-2017.html>
Abstracts can be submitted until 30th June 2017.

We would like to draw your attention to Session 24 entitled “Coral Reef Engineers In A Changing Ocean - Implications For Ecosystem Functions And Services”

In this session, we hope to facilitate an interdisciplinary discussion on the role and functioning of coral reef ecosystem engineers under global and local environmental change. We would like to encourage submissions considering all aspects of current and future ecosystem engineers and their associated services from cellular to ecosystem scale.

Session abstract:
Session 24: CORAL REEF ENGINEERS IN A CHANGING OCEAN - IMPLICATIONS FOR ECOSYSTEM FUNCTIONS AND SERVICES

​Key coral reef organisms like hard corals, sponges, or algae act as ecosystem engineers by creating habitats for other organisms and by controlling the availability of resources. Reef ecosystem engineers fulfill important biogeochemical functions such as the release of inorganic (i.e. calcium carbonate structures) and organic (i.e. mucus and sugars) compounds and facilitate C and N fixation by associated microbes. Recent research revealed that the physiology of reef engineers and their biogeochemical processes is highly and differently affected by global (e.g. ocean warming and acidification) and local (e.g. eutrophication and overfishing) stressors that likely interact. This implies cascading impacts on reef ecosystem functions and services such as primary productivity, nutrient recycling, coastal protection, provisioning of biodiversity, and human food security. Novel reef ecosystems, shaped by ongoing environmental change, will likely be dominated by benthic organisms other than hard corals resulting in altered ecosystem functions and a potential loss of precious and unique services. This session invites abstracts on the latest findings related to coral reef ecosystem engineers and their associated ecosystem services. Bringing together scientists from a diverse background, this session aims to facilitate interdisciplinary exchange about future research priorities and implications for coral reef management.

We look forward to receiving your submission and hope to see you in Oxford!

Florian Roth
Nils Rädecker
Christian Wild

__

Florian Roth
Integrated Ocean Processes  <http://iop.kaust.edu.sa/>
Red Sea Research Center  <http://rsrc.kaust.edu.sa/Pages/Home.aspx>
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
Building 2, Level 3, 3266-WS06
Mobile Phone: +966 (0) 54 451 8478
Email: florian.roth at kaust.edu.sa <mailto:florian.roth at kaust.edu.sa>

--