[Coral-List] Are reef ecologists capable of building the complex science needed

angela dikou angeladikou at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 4 08:11:26 EDT 2017

Dear Peter and Charles,

it is my and others understanding that complex systems are those systems that:

1.have many component parts and relationships

2.they integrate various subsystems

3.they are open systems

4.they are history-dependent

5.they are self-regulated with feed back loops; cross (spatio-temporal) level interactions; changes in their resilience, connectedness and potential, and

6.they can vary their trajectory or their structure or their function (due to changes in their parts and relationships) to better track changes (adapt) in their changed environment, which give rise to the multiple states they can "stabilise" for some or long time

[apparently, collapse is not the only available non-linear dynamic in nature]

On the other hand, chaotic systems are initial conditions-dependent systems..

We know that the resilience of coral reefs depends on the high total cover of reef building corals (first feedback loop) and the high complexity/robustness of their foodwebs (second feedback loop). Let's join these two feedback loops, let's add interactions with moderators of values, policy, economy, technology, management to figure out the resultant and desirable levels of ecosystem goods and services to be provided by reefs.

Thank you for spreading.

Angela Dikou