[Coral-List] Inquiry on Caribbean Acropora recovery accomplishments

William Precht william.precht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 09:57:04 EST 2017

Hi Paul,  Yes indeed a disease spread through the Caribbean acroporids
starting in the mid-late 1970's  essentially decimating populations by
1990.  The disease still lingers!

I point you to the following references (see below) - those should cover
both the historical and recent ideas concerning the disease and its
implications.

Aronson RB, Precht WF (2001) White-band disease the changing face of
Caribbean coral reefs. Hydrobiologia 460: 25–38.

Bruckner, A.W. 2002. Proceedings of the Caribbean *Acropora* Workshop:
Potential Application of the U.S. Endangered Species Act as a Conservation
Strategy. NOAA Technical Memorandum

NMFS-OPR-24, Silver Spring, MD 199 pp.

Bythell, J.C., and C. Sheppard. 1993. Mass mortality of Caribbean shallow
corals. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 26:296–297.

Gignoux-Wolfsohn, S. A., Marks, C. J., & Vollmer, S. V. (2012). White Band
Disease transmission in the threatened coral, *Acropora cervicornis*.
Scientific reports, 2, 804.

Gignoux-Wolfsohn SA, Vollmer SV (2015). Identification of Candidate Coral
Pathogens on White Band Disease-Infected Staghorn Coral. *Plos one* *10:*
e0134416.

Gil-Agudelo DL, Smith GW, Weil E (2006). The white band disease type II
pathogen in Puerto Rico. *Revista de Biologica Tropical* *54:* 59-67.

Gladfelter, W. B. (1982). White-band disease in *Acropora palmata*:
implications for the structure and growth of shallow reefs. Bulletin of
Marine Science, 32(2), 639-643.

Kline, D. I., & Vollmer, S. V. (2011). White Band Disease (type I) of
endangered Caribbean acroporid corals is caused by pa

Hope that helps to get you started.

Cheers,

Bill