[Coral-List] Tenure Track Position - Marine Disease at University of Southern Mississippi

Daniel Holstein dan.holstein at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 09:14:36 EST 2017

Apologies, the attachment wasn’t included. Please see below.

Tenure Track Position

Marine Disease Biologist

Division of Coastal Sciences

School of Ocean Science and Technology

The University of Southern Mississippi

Ocean Springs, Mississippi USA

The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, nine-month, tenure-track faculty position as an Assistant Professor of Marine Disease Biology in the Division of Coastal Sciences in the College of Science and Technology to begin in Fall 2018.  A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline is required. Post-doctoral experience is also highly desired.

We are searching for an outstanding candidate working on any aspect of disease in marine shellfish, finfish or mammals. Potential research areas include, but are not restricted to: epidemiology, pathology, immunology, and parasitology of wild or cultured organisms. The successful candidate will be expected to develop a strong, externally funded research program, publish manuscripts in peer-reviewed literature, mentor M.S. and Ph.D. students, and participate in graduate instruction. Evaluation of applications will also consider the potential of candidates to develop collaboration within USM’s School of Ocean Sciences and Technology, as well as with other USM academic units including the Department of Biological Sciences.

The Division of Coastal Sciences is a research and graduate education unit within the School of Ocean Science and Technology, offering programs leading to the Doctor of Philosophy and Master of Science degrees. The Division is located at the USM Gulf Coast Research Laboratory <http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/> (Ocean Springs, Mississippi), a marine laboratory featuring comprehensive basic and applied research programs in coastal and marine biological sciences. Research program support includes state-of-the-art laboratory facilities and instrumentation; a fleet of small and large research vessels <http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/research_vessels/>, including the R/V Point Sur; the GCRL Museum <http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/museum/index.php> collection; the Center for Fisheries Research and Development <http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/fisheries_center/index.php>; NSF I/UCRC Science Center for Marine Fisheries, and aquaculture facilities including the Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center <http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/cmac/index.php>.

Further inquiries may be addressed to the search committee chair (Kevin Dillon, kevin.dillon at usm.edu). Applicants must complete an employment application form located on the USM Human Resources web site <https://jobs.usm.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1508873419203> (Job Posting # 0004681 <https://jobs.usm.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1508873419203>). The application package will include: 1) a cover letter; 2) a statement of research interests and career goals; 3) a statement of teaching interests; 4) a curriculum vitae; 5) relevant reprints (up to four); and 6) contact information for three references. Review of applications will begin February 1, 2018, and will continue until an appropriate candidate is found. Link to job posting: https://jobs.usm.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1508948313906

About the University of Southern Mississippi

Founded in 1910, The University of Southern Mississippi is a comprehensive doctoral and research-driven university with a proud history and an eye on the future. As one of only 34 institutions in the nation accredited in art, dance, music and theatre, we are a haven for creativity and artistic expression. A dual-campus university, Southern Miss serves students on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, in addition to five teaching and research sites in Mississippi. We are among U.S. News & World Report’s most popular universities and recognized by The Princeton Review for our commitment to sustainability. Our Center for Undergraduate Research affords our students meaningful research opportunities, and as a proven leader in innovation, we conduct transformative research that translates into real-world solutions. In the classroom or lab, on the playing field, or in the performance hall, we strive to have a positive impact not only on our students, but also the world around us. Further information is found at www.usm.edu.

AA/EEO Statement

As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply