[Coral-List] Fluorescence of A. palmata/cervicornis under LED lighting.

Tim Wijgerde wijgerde at coralpublications.com
Mon Oct 23 13:32:27 EDT 2017

Hi Damien,

If you study the work by Cecilia D'Angelo et al., it seems the production of bright, (non-)fluorescent colours in corals is stimulated by blue light. However, you don't need light that is optically blue, only a full spectrum white light source which has sufficient blue in its emitted spectrum. To properly reveal FP's, a blue/actinic light source is required. If you photograph them under blue or actinic light, combined with a yellow long-pass filter, they will look fluorescent green. Such footage is great promotion for these species if you want to share it with the public at large.

Cheers,

Tim