[Coral-List] Post Hurricane Algal Outbreak

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 03:55:51 EDT 2017

Dear Shannon,

Although the photos only show the macroscopic form, you are most likely
seeing an outbreak of several species of red algae, including *Liagora*, as
well as the normally very rare *Liagorothamnion*, the type specimens which
I discovered in Puerto Rico growing abundantly in shallow water on the back
reef and reef flats after Hurricanes Hortense and Georges. This
unusual species must exist as an alternate cryptic/ microscopic phase until
a hurricane hits, and which point it blooms abundantly and reproduces
sexually.

The paper describing the algae by Huisman et al, 2001 is at this link-
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mwynne/pdffiles/2001Liagorothamnion.pdf

Regards,

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods for the Future
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
https://www.facebook.com/C4Conservation
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009j6wb
http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Coral-Gardening-Frontline-in-th
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Sustainable Environmental Livelihoods Farm
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji

https://www.facebook.com/teiteifarmstay

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/