[Coral-List] Mary Derrickson McCurdy Visiting Scholar - Duke University Marine Lab

Daniel Holstein dan.holstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 09:58:26 EDT 2017

Coral-Listers:

The Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University invites applicants for the Mary Derrickson McCurdy Visiting Scholar position at the Marine Laboratory in Beaufort, North Carolina. We seek an early career scholar who will benefit from support that allows her/him to pursue self-directed research, while engaging in the intellectual life of the Marine Laboratory. Our goal is to provide a platform to help launch an academic career. Support includes salary and funds for travel and research (negotiated).

We are a faculty of natural, social and physical scientists and we value diverse ways of knowing, understanding and learning. We encourage applicants from across the spectrum of Marine Science and Conservation, broadly construed (e.g., oceanography, biogeochemistry, marine technology, remote sensing, coastal geomorphology, ocean energy, deep-sea science, environmental toxicology, natural hazards, microbial ecology, marine biology and ecology, fisheries, conservation science, and human-environmental interactions at various scales and from different perspectives, e.g., political ecology, theories of collective-action and governance, economics, livelihoods and well-being). Individual qualifications, academic excellence appropriate to career stage and home discipline, and collegiality, rather than specific research area will be the primary criteria in selecting the successful candidate.

The term of the appointment is for a 9-month academic year, with the possibilities of extension to a full year and renewal to a second. Start date is during the 2018 academic year and flexible. Candidates nearing completion of advanced degrees are encouraged to apply, but PhD must be complete for the fellowship to commence. Interested individuals should apply through AcademicJobsOnline <https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo>.  See Job # 10163.  Applicants should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, summary of research interests, reprints of up to three recent papers, and names of three references.

The Duke University Marine Lab <https://nicholas.duke.edu/marinelab>, a coastal campus in Beaufort, NC, has a distinguished record of research and education in marine science, conservation and governance. The mission of the laboratory is to be at the forefront of understanding marine environmental systems, their conservation, and governance through leadership in research, training, communication, inclusion, and diversity. In 2015 the Duke Marine Lab was recipient of the Dean’s Award for Inclusive Excellence in Graduate Education <https://nicholas.duke.edu/marinelab/diversity>.

Further inquiries may be directed to the search committee chair, Dr. Lisa Campbell (t: 252-504-7628) mccurdy-scholar-search at duke.edu <mailto:mccurdy-scholar-search at duke.edu>. The search committee will begin reviewing applications December 4, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.

Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.

Daniel Holstein, PhD
Mary Derrickson McCurdy Fellow
Duke Marine Lab
Nicholas School of the Environment