[Coral-List] Are reef ecologists capable of building the complex science needed?

angela dikou angeladikou at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:19:47 EDT 2017

 Dear Peter,

thank you very much for keeping us updated about recent contributions to the coral reef ecology field and for keeping us needed for recommendations and proposals to turn around and triumph the coral reef crisis. Please allow me to add a few recommendations for the ISRS leadership, for which available NOAA Coral Reef International Projects funding may be utilized for a start:

1.Develop a long-term heterarchy of information flow that allows for the storage and exchange among policy, management, and reef users with thematic units on the main stressors on reefs and (segmented) world wide coverage; allow common appreciation of common impacts and amass cornucopia of available solutions, cornucopia of incentives structures, implementation options; deadlines, recoiled budgets, and deliverables.

2.Organise organic matrices (i.e. decisive networks of randomly selected, willing and capable coral reef stakeholders to discuss and decide on ecological, social, technology, and economic aspects) at various spatial scales, with specific deadlines, recoiled budgets, and deliverables (strategies-programes-projects).

3.Institutionalize the raise of standards of performance for current and future coral reef protected areas; reward those who reach them and replace those who are not willing to reach them; capitalize on positive externalities..

4.Re-examine and re-align priorities about reef stressors that scientists deliver to managers and policy makers through (i)elaboration/integration of the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network database with the Coral Trait Database, (ii)translation of the structural indicators of (i) into functional indicators of reef state, that can further and readily be utilized for ecosystem services/goods assessment and economic valuation.

5.Promote transdisciplinary research topics and teams at all levels of the research endeavor, from summer research projects to multinational collaborations.

Exemplary breakthroughers receive the worthy tangible and intagible benefits from the ISRS, policy and the media. By the way, congratulations to Dr Gill who contributed to the sizeable pool of evidence of the species-specific stressors’ interactions on reef corals (albeit mainly on species of Acropora and Porites genera) and to the incipient pool of evidence of how coral reefs may change in the future.

It is my humble opinion that what may be needed are not positive feedback loops but negative (stabilizing) feedback loop for the desired reef state. It can be tested, right?

Thank you for spreading.

Angela Dikou