[Coral-List] 3-D Coral Polyp Models (for 3-D printing)?

Paulo Maurin - NOAA Affiliate paulo.maurin at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 26 20:39:48 EDT 2017

Hello. Is anyone aware of a 3D cross-sectional model of an individual
coral polyp? One that would show the skeletal structure and the polyp
parts, including tentacles, mouth, and stomach? Ideally, the model
would be for a whole polyp that could be open in half for the cross
section, and these would be modular so a few polyps could be put
together to form a "reef."

We would like to 3D print a cross section of a coral polyp for
education & outreach. I've searched a couple of 3D print sites but I
am not finding a coral polyp model (there seem to be a few "reefs" 3D
models out there, but again not one of an individual coral polyp). We
need a 3D object model (files .obj or .ma or .dae formats).

If there is not a 3D model of a cross-sectional polyp, I may be able
to ask our in-house ed tech designers in our program to make this 3D
model, but I wanted to check with this community first. If we do
design a polyp model for a 3D printer, I could share it with this
group if there is interest.

Thanks in advance,

Paulo Maurin, PhD
Hawaii Management Liaison, NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program
NOAA Inouye Regional Center
1845 Wasp Blvd., Building 176
Honolulu, HI 96818
Phone: (808) 725-5265