[Coral-List] Summer Genomicss Workshops on Catalina Island

Eli Meyer meyere at oregonstate.edu
Mon Apr 16 12:20:13 EDT 2018

Hi Colleagues,

This summer our team is offering two workshops on the use of
high-throughput sequencing to study gene expression and genetic variation.
These methods are appropriate for corals and other non-model organisms.

For more details, see this link or the description that follows.
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~meyere/workshops.html

We aim to train biologists with little or no NGS experience to prepare
sequencing libraries and analyze the millions of DNA sequences that result.
Participants are expected to provide DNA or RNA samples from their own
study systems, and we will prepare sequencing libraries together from those
samples as well as a shared set of samples for a group project.

Participants will learn to analyze these data themselves using simple
command line tools on a high-performance computing cluster. We’ll cover
each step of the process from DNA or RNA in a tube, to millions of DNA
sequences, to biological data on gene expression or genetic variation.

Registration for these workshops includes room and board (three meals a day
including plenty of coffee and snacks) throughout the workshop, and
reagents/sequencing such that each participant can sequence and analyze a
set of their own samples, generating pilot data for their species of
interest.

Our Tag-Seq workshop will run from Aug 10-18, and the 2bRAD workshop from
Aug 18-26. Registration for either workshop alone costs $1,900.
Participants enrolling in both workshops will pay a discounted rate of
$3,700 altogether.
For more details, including information from previous years’ workshops,
please see the full posting at the following website:
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~meyere/workshops.html

Contact us with questions, with "Workshops 2018" in the subject line. To
reserve your spot, please contact Demian Willette (demian.willette at lmu.edu)..
For specific questions about 2bRAD, contact Eli Meyer (
eli.meyer at oregonstate.edu), and for specific questions about TagSeq,
contact Carly Kenkel (ckenkel at usc.edu).

Space is limited! To reserve your spot, please confirm your participation
no later than May 15th and pay registration fee by June 15th.
Thanks, hope to see some of you on Catalina this August!

Eli Meyer, Oregon State University. eli.meyer at oregonstate.edu
Demian Willette, Loyola Marymount University. demian.willette at lmu.edu
Carly Kenkel, University of Southern California. carly.kenkel at gmail.com

--
Eli Meyer
Assistant Professor, Integrative Biology