[Coral-List] Dragons and Tribes: more about communicating the coral reef story to the public

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Tue Aug 21 04:08:15 UTC 2018

Hi all,
I've continued to dwell on why the coral reef message, so clear, urgent, and depressing to most of us, has failed to register with the 'average person'.  New post on my blog today dives into psychology.  I am not claiming that reef scientists need to retool to solve the psychological and other impediments to getting their messages received.  But I am suggesting that by understanding these impediments (see the earlier post also) we should be able to become more effective at getting our messages across.  Post is at http://www.petersalebooks.com/?p=2649

Of course, as one Canadian follower just communicated to me: most people have never seen a reef, don't really know what they are, and mostly think of them as rock - no wonder they don't understand the message those reefs are sending.

Meanwhile, the world grows warmer...

Peter Sale
University of Windsor
sale at uwindsor.ca<mailto:sale at uwindsor.ca>