[Coral-List] New paper re predicting the night that corals will spawn

Wolstenholme, Jackie jackie.wolstenholme at jcu.edu.au
Mon Feb 19 18:58:28 EST 2018

Hi Coral Listers
We have just had a paper published which we hope will be of interest to anyone interested in mass spawning in corals and maybe other mass spawners:
Wolstenholme, Jackie, Nozawa, Yoko, Byrne, Maria, and Burke, William (2018) Timing of mass spawning in corals: potential influence of the coincidence of lunar factors and associated changes in atmospheric pressure from northern and southern hemisphere case studies. Invertebrate Reproduction and Development.
In the paper, we present a new insight to help with predicting which night(s) after the full moon corals will spawn. Based on our preliminary analysis, we propose that the annual coincidence (or near coincidence) of the third lunar quarter and zero declination could be a spawning cue. The zero declination occurs when the moon is directly above the equator as it moves between hemispheres.
 I am posting to Coral-List because we hope that others will take up the idea and test it.
You can download a copy at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07924259.2018.1434245 or send me a request using the Request a Copy button at https://researchonline.jcu.edu.au/52181/.
The basis for the paper was Liam, the last author's idea. Sadly, Liam died the day after the paper was published online. Liam was an esteemed colleague from University of Sydney.
Regards, Jackie
Jackie Wolstenholme PhD MIM GCertEd AALIA | Research Liaison Librarian
Library & Information Services | Eddie Koiki Mabo Library | James Cook University, Townsville, QLD 4811
E:   Jackie.Wolstenholme at jcu.edu.au<mailto:Jackie.Wolstenholme at jcu.edu.au>
W: http://www.jcu.edu.au/library
P:   (07) 4781 4215

ORCID : https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2414-3298<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2414-3298>
Twitter: @ajacquelineae<https://twitter.com/ajacquelineae>

JCU CRICOS Provider Code: 00117J

Note: The contents of this email transmission, including any attachments, are intended solely for the named addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage of the contents and any attachments is expressly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please delete it and any attachments from your system immediately and advise the sender by return email or telephone. James Cook University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are error or virus free.